Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Self-Portrait

I was nervous about the self-portrait for the most part, because like everyone else, I wanted it to look like me.  I set about creating this drawing by propping a mirror against the wall and sitting in front of it.  To me drawing this way was very irritating because I would get nauseous moving my head constantly up to the mirror and down to my paper.  Because of this I ended up just drawing the majority of it in the mirror, then adding the details in later away from the mirror.  The end result I feel is fairly good, but it does have some major flaws that I realized later when actually standing away from it.  For example the gross exaggeration of the jaw bone is distracting, even for any human not only as a self portrait of myself.  Overall I feel like the self-portrait turned out ok, but for future self portraits I would try to spend more time in front of the mirror.

No comments:

Post a Comment